Safety Health & Environmental
Environmental Documents & Compliance
Home / Safety Health & Environmental / Environmental Documents & Compliance
To fully comply with applicable Laws and Regulations of Lao PDR, the following reports were prepared and submitted to the Ministry of Natural Resource and Environment (MONRE) – for approval.
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for Limestone Quarry – The report was submitted in November 2005, and approved on 23 December 2005. It features a quarry located at Ngeun District, which will be operated for supplying limestone materials for infrastructure construction and the Flue Gas Desulfurization (FGD) system.
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Environmental Management Plan (EMP) for Hongsa Power Plant, Mining Development and Transmission Line Project – The report was carried out during the years 2005-2006, and then was submitted to the Government of Lao PDR in June 2007, and finally approved on 29 November 2007.
- Updated Environmental Management Plan (EMP) for Hongsa Power Plant, Mining Development and Transmission Line Project – The report was submitted in June 2010, and approved on 7 October 2010.
- Construction Phase Environmental Management and Monitoring Plan (CPEMMP) – The report was submitted in September 2011, and approved on 24 November 2011.
- Initial Environmental Examination (IEE) for 115 kV Transmission Line (Route: Hongsa District to Luang Prabang Substation 2) – The report was approved in January 2008. However, due to changes to the 115 KV Transmission Line route from Hongsa Power Plant to Luang Prabang Substation 2 (Tower No. #187 – #233), the report was amended and re-submitted in August 2011. This amended report received approval on 18 January 2012.
- Environmental Management Plan (EMP) for 500 kV Transmission Line (Route: Hongsa District to Lao-Thai Border) – The report was approved on 6 April 2012.
Under Annex I: “The Power Concession Agreement”, and Annex Q: “The Coal and Limestone Mining Concession Agreement Between the Government of Lao PDR (GoL) and Hongsa Power Company Limited (HPC) on 30th November 2009” (together “Concession Agreements (CA) – Annex I”), the Integrated Environmental and Social Obligations were stated, consisting of 3 sections:
- Part I: General Matters – including governing principles, general corporate obligations, required permits, baseline monitoring, penalties, etc.
- Part II: Environmental Matters – including details of the Company’s environmental obligations; components and implementation of the Company’s Environmental Management System (EMS); compliance with applicable laws; construction- and operation-phase obligations; Environmental Monitoring and Inspections by MONRE; Capacity Building and Environmental Protection Fund, etc.
- Part III: Social Matters – including the Resettlement Action plan (RAP), the Social Development Plan (SDP), etc. This section features tools to ensure that social measures are strict, effective, timely, and are implemented in compliance with accepted social standards and obligations.